Most of the time when you approach an umbrella shop of a telecommunications provider you may need to walk with a pre-selected SIM/Phone number. However there are easy ways to choose your own number. Here are the steps for a few providers.
- BSNL: http://cymn.bsnl.co.in/
- Vodafone: Approach a Vodafone Store (not mini-store). *
- Airtel: Approach a Airtel Store (not Airtel Express). *
- Tata Docomo: Any retailer. The retailer has to send a SMS to a pre-defined number blocking it for you. *
* During these requests you may be stopped and forced to go postpaid for a choice number however it is just a marketing gimmick. You may need to persist and get the representative to work for you.