Last Thursday (18th October 2016) at 8 PM there was a program called Aytha Ezhuthu in Thanthi TV where a retired IAS officer (Mr. Christudas Gandhi) has been airing blasphemous comments on Sri Rama like he is intending to slipper at the deity. This type of public airing has created a lot of mental turbulence to millions of pious Hindu people world wide. Such type of gestures from a professional administration services is not a welcome act.
Even as a layman in law, we can say that his act stands in sharp violation of the following IPC sections
- 153 A Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language
- 295 Injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class
- 298 Uttering, words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person
- 505 Statements conducing to public mischief
There has been a sharp uproar in many sections of social media and a few of us tried reaching Thanthi TV to see if they can get the person appear on the screen again and tender an unconditional apology for his act and to withdraw the statement. However the people at Thanthi TV helpdesk (reception) are nonchalant to our requests.
A formal complaint has been submitted to the following authorities:
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting via CpGrams MOIAB/E/2016/02438
- Hon’ble Prime Minister of India PMOPG/E/2016/0397728
Meanwhile a lawyer from Kanyakumari has also filed a police complaint against the offender as below. (Shared from Whatsapp)